At the end of August 2018, cultural centre Hasselt / Krokusfestival founded HET LAB, a residential artistic laboratory where artists and makers who work for young audiences and families can research and rehearse.
HET LAB is networked in Flanders with artists and companies, and internationally with the international context of Krokusfestival as well as with partners from the PUSH+ network supported by Creative Europe. In addition, HET LAB subscribes to the Limburg cultural plan via LIKO (Limburg arts platform) and ONDERSTROOM, collaboration on artist development.
HET LAB can count on support from the city of Hasselt, which focuses on creation in its policy and a place for artists, and from the Flemish Government.
Type of residency
HET LAB supports the ‘artist development’ with a residential, (inter)national and tailor-made threefold methodology:
- research – one shorter international masterclass and one international multi-day lab on one theme each year, and a visit to foreign arts festivals twice a year for 2 makers each
- process development – tailor-made residences: infrastructure, support, external feedback and coaching, try-out opportunities and international networking tailored to your needs
- product development – co-productive support to an artist / company
During the residence, HET LAB provides a workplace / studio (100m²) and artists can stay in an apartment in the heart of Hasselt (6-8 people).
Companies and artists can apply with the following information:
- project description, target group (3 pages max)
- concrete proposal about what is expected in HET LAB: infrastructure, guidance or coaching
- timing of the residence
The selection is done by HET LAB team on the basis of the received information and after a substantive discussion with the applicants at HET LAB in Hasselt.
Emely Alders, coordinator